In this episode, Paul discusses a recent federal district court decision that found that an insurance policy with an absolute pollution exclusion excluded damage caused by manure. The insurance company was also found to have no duty to defend the insured party. This decision involves the Cow Palace Dairy that had earlier settled claims that manure had leaked into groundwater and agreed to clean up costs associated with the damage.
Materials discussed in this episode:
- Ellixson, Ashley, Washington Dairies Enter Into Consent Agreements (AREC, June 3, 2015)
- Goeringer, Paul, Court Agrees That Pollution Clause in Insurance Policy Excludes Damage from Manure (AREC, Oct. 24, 2017).
- Goeringer, Paul, Cow Palace Decision: A Parade of Horribles (AREC, June 4, 2015)
- Goeringer, Paul, Settlement Reached in Washington State Dairy Cases (AREC, May 20, 2015)
- Goeringer, Paul, Wait, Now You’re Telling Me Manure Can Be a Solid Waste?!? (AREC, Feb. 3, 2015).
To repost a podcast episode, see the policy here